Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Halloweenies


Remember back in the day when you could dress up in some ratty costume and go door to door demanding candy from your neighbors? I miss those days...

Now, as a grown up, I am expected to be one of those neighbors with candy. I have no idea how much to get for my apartment...I know there's some kids in the neighborhood, but don't know what kind of Halloween haul (or, as I call it, Hauloween) is to be expected.

I talk about Halloween because it is the next day of calendar importance, yet some stores want to skip it and go for the gusto. I was just in Giant a few minutes ago, and damned if they didn't have Christmas decorations out and available for purchase...Christmas!! Angel ornaments next to devil costumes...something's just not right with that picture.

To get in the Halloween spirit, I recommend viewing the following movies:

- Monster Squad. This is a movie I remember from my youth, about a group of kids that have to save their town from the Mummy, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, Wolfman, Frankenstein's Monster AND Dracula...talk about your star packed horror movie. Of course, it's a kiddie horror movie, so don't expect much blood or real fright. Seeing those baddies though will get anyone in the 10/31 spirit...

- Night of the Living Dead. Of course, a classic horror movie. Kick-started the zombiepocalypse. Often imitated, never duplicated...it's a must see.

- 28 Days Later. Where NotLD really introduced zombies to movies, 28 Days Later made them super fast and aggressive. Before, if you could just keep running, you were safe. Now, you can't possibly run fast enough. Very scary...

- The Omega Man. There's a remake of this tale coming out soon starring Will Smith called I Am Legend, but there will never be another Omega Man. Charlton Heston is the last living "normal" man in a city overtaken by mutated victims of biological warfare. Not very scary, but still a cool flick, with a cool costume idea (mutants FTW!)

- Fright Night. Charley Ragsdale is a normal kid...who lives next to a pair of vampires. He enlists the help of his horror-addicted best friend and girlfriend (TV's Marcy D'Arcy), along with Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall), the local horror movie host. Very good scary movie...

What are some others you out there enjoy to get into the frightful mood?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan, it's Andrew from High School! Wow, long time. I got your post on my blog, so I guess in a way we are playing "blogtag." I just created that. Yes. :)

I was surprised to hear from you! Wow! Like I said, it's been quite a while. Yup, I'm up in Washington working in the video games industry. I worked on F.E.A.R. (which you may have heard of) and am currently working on the sequel as an artist. It's really fun! Other then that, I'm about to get married in two weeks here, so that's pretty big.

You should send me an email sometime, that way we don't have to keep blogging each other. You have to tell me what happend after High School, since I think that's the last time we talked. You're working in computer programming, right? I hope that is going well.

Okay, well I won't fill up your blog comments anymore, so...

Here's my email: griff@andrewgriffin.net