Friday, May 23, 2008

Vera Lee Baker (1919 - 2008)

Wednesday, May 14, my grandmother passed away in Orange Park, FL, at the age of 88. Her friends called her Vera, her children called her Momma...my sister and I called her Grandma Bill. The story behind that? Her father called her Bill, and her sister Till (actual name was Luatha). Why he did that? I'm not sure, but I'll check on that one and update when I find out.

She was your standard southern grandmother...loved to cook. Had a house outside Orlando, FL, in a small town called Ocoee. It would get intensely hot, especially back in the kitchen when the cooking was going on (which was pretty much at all times). The only air conditioning to be had in the place was in her bedroom, so that's where I would hide out between meals when I was visiting.

She and my grandfather were separated when my father was a teenager. Times were tough back then...my dad was able to get away from it and go on to develop the life he has led since (he was the good one, it seems).

Regrettably, I was not able to see Grandma Bill prior to her passing. I was going to go visit with her while I was in town last fall, but, of course, I was unable to make that trip.

In recent years, her health had begun to deteriorate. She and my great aunt were moved from Ocoee to a nursing home in Orange Park (on the outskirts of Jacksonville), almost a decade ago. This was a good move, as it moved her closer to family (my aunt and much of her family lives in Orange Park), and it also provided assistance in areas where it was needed for everyday living. It was not a popular move to some, but it was the proper one. She never was able to get used to the food that they served there, but, after eating like she had all her life, you can't blame her.

On the subject of food, she always hated cheese...I thought that was the oddest thing. Seems she had cottage cheese once, absolutely hated it, and figured all cheese tasted like that. You couldn't get her to eat cheese at all...go figure.

In her waning years, she suffered from memory problems. She would forget people's names and whatnot. She never seemed to forget mine though...somehow she would know who I was when I walked in (well, I do think she thought I was my dad once, but other then that...). I was her only grandson, so that probably helped...

So, we all met up down in Florida this past weekend to pay our last respects. She lived a long life, and made it through various health problems in her life to get to 88. I can probably only hope to make it that long...

Goodbye, Grandma Bill...we'll miss you.

No comments: